Classification means putting things into groups.The main reason for classifying living things is to make it easier to study them.
Linnaeus was a Swedish naturalist who divided all the different kinds of living things into groups calles SPECIES.
Species are grouped into genera (singular: GENUS).
Several genera are then grouped into a FAMILY.
Families into ORDERS.
Orders into CLASSES.
Classes into PHYLA.
Phyla into KINGDOMS.
Last class we divided all organisms into the five kingdoms:
Let us start with the Animal Kingdom.
They are classified into 5 phyla:
– Each group is given different specimens
– Make a large labelled drawing of the animal
– Classify the animal: phylum, class, genus and species
– Write down the external features of each specimen.
– After discussing the work in class, each group will add the information of the specimen in the post as a comment.
– Peer assessment between groups