This is the time for “The green world”.
Throughout this unit we are going to study 3 main topics:
1- Nutrition in plants.
2- Transport in plants.
3- Reproduction in plants
Let´s start with “Nutrition in plants”
– Watch this video
– This web page is an excellent resource to complete the activities
– Photosynthesis: Learning objectives:
. Define and write the word equation for photosynthesis
. Investigate the necessity for chlorophyll, light and carbon dioxide for photosynthesis, using appropriate controls
. Describe the intake of carbon dioxide and water by plants
• Explain that chlorophyll traps light energy and converts it into chemical energy for the formation of carbohydrates and their subsequent storage
– Test the leaves for starch
– Leaf structure:
• Identify and label the cuticle, cellular and tissue structure of a dicotyledonous leaf, as seen in cross-section under the light microscope, and describe the significance of these features in terms of functions, to include:
• distribution of chloroplasts – photosynthesis
• stomata and mesophyll cells – gas exchange
• vascular bundles (xylem and phloem) – transport and support
– Mineral requirements
• Describe the importance of:
• nitrate ions for protein synthesis
• magnesium ions for chlorophyll synthesis