Read page 5 from HERE.
- Act: Answer the interactive question and post a scrrenshot with the answers.
- Film 2 examples which show reflex actions. (BE CAREFUL IN USING HOT OBJECTS! MIMICS ARE ACCEPTED!)
For each example, name the structures involved:
stimulis __ receptor __coordinator __effector __ response
? ? ? ? ?
STRUCTURE OF THE EYE
Study the structure and functions of the human eye HERE, and complete pages 9 and 10 from the booklet.
HOW WE SEE COLORS
Watch the video!
Booklet Act: COMPLETE questions 4 c and d on page 10.
- In pairs, add a video which shows the pupil reflex in your eyes.
- Using your reflex actions´knowledge , sketch the sequence of the pupil reflex. State the stimulus, receptors, coordinator, effector, effect, response and all the neurones involved.
- What is the importance of this reflex?
- Booklet act: COMPLETE questions 1 b and c on page 9.
ACCOMMODATION OR FOCUSING
- Play this animation about focusing a close or distant object and answer the interactive questions.
- Booklet act.: Answer questions 2 and 4 a and b.
PROBLEMS WITH VISION?
Let´s discuss about them HERE!
Connections between the nervous system and the eye as a sense organ.
Booklet act: Answer question 5 on page 10.
Let´s start a new topic!
All mammals have a CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM and a PERIPHERAL NERVOUS SYSTEM. The CNS is made up of the brain and the spinal cord. The peripheral nervous system is made up of nerves and receptores.
The NEURONES are special cells which coordinate the messages travelling through the nervous system.
- ANATOMY OF A NEURONE: Watch THIS video!
- Act: State how the structure of a neurone is related to the function.
2. TYPES OF NEURONES: Read “overiew of neurone structure and function from HERE .
- Act: Make a labelled drawing of each of the three types of neurones, motor, sensory and relay, and state their functions.
- Act: Post a short video explaining synapse.
- Act: Describe in your own words how nerve impulses are transmitted from neurone to neurone.
Let´s continue studying hormones…
- Study the effects of adrenaline and ADH after reading this link.
Act: a- Use bullet points to summarise the effects of adrenaline.
b- Describe 3 situations in which adrenaline is secreted. Post a picture to show the examples.
2. Draw a flow chart to show the effects of ADH:
– when there is TOO LITTLE WATER in the body.
– when there is MUCH WATER in the body.
3- Solve the quiz from this webpage. Take a screenshot and post it.
Good luck! 🙂
- Read page 1 from THIS LINK
Act: Define the term hormone
2. Where are the endocrine glands?
Read the descriptions of the glands and the hormones they produced here
Act: Build a table to summarise the hormones each gland produces. You should include in the columns:
– Endocrine gland, Where in the body and Hormone produced
in the lines: Pituitary, testis, ovary, pancreas, adrenal and thyroid.
3. Effects of insulin in the human body
Last year you studied the effect of insulin and glucagon secreted by the pancreas.
Act: Draw a flow diagram to explain the importance of insulin in the control of glucose in blood.
Let´s revise the meaning of homeostasis
1- Write down 2 excretory organs and the substances they excrete.
2- Structure of the kidney. Read here!
3- The nephron
Watch THIS animation to study the filtration and reabsorption.
Before we start… explain the meaning of the following terms:
– concentrated solution
– diluted solution
– distilled water
Quick introduction: watch the video!
Read page 3 from THIS WEBPAGE and play the animations.
It’s our 2nd year in preparation for the IGCSE exam so one of our challenges will be about recycling what we studied in Senior 3. There are 3 main topics this year:
1- Human body
3- Living organisms and their environment
For each class you will be expected to bring last year textbook and the Booklet with exercises. Get your blog ready with the Biology category. All blog assignments should appear in the category and, as well as tests, will be posted in the class Calendar.
All the best for this year!
1- Characteristics and classification of living organisms.
2-Organisation of the organism
3- Movement in and out of cells
4- Biological molecules
6- Human nutrition
7- Transport in humans
8- Gas exchange in humans
9- Excretion and kidneys
10- Pathogens and immunity
As you see, you studied topics 1, 2 and 4 last year. Therefore, we are going to make a quick revision of them and continue with the new topics.
For each class you should bring the Biology coursebook. You are going to work a lot in your blogs, so add a category called “Biology”. All posts should be there.
Tests as well as blog assignments will be posted in the class Calendar.
Let´s start with a question…Why study Biology?
Study hard and enjoy!
ESQUEMA DE CONTENIDOS NODALES
PLAN DE TRABAJO